Tattoo

Calendar Portrait Studies









As promised here is another way to use those old calendars. They make great teaching aids for portrait studies. Often a student can get intimidated by trying to do a portrait, by giving them half the picture they learn placement by drawing/painting the mirror image. As they gain confidence you can go to a quarter page if you want. My kids love to do these studies. My youngest(6) does his in crayon and pencil crayon while my oldest(11) attempts them in watercolor.
Find a good image. This is from a local wildlife calendar the city sends out every year.
Fold and cut in half. Often the image is not centered on the page so try to find the center of the subject and make your fold there.
Glue on some paper with a glue stick. I did mine in watercolor as I was trying to get my daily practice in so I stuck mine on 140lb wc paper.
For my kids I usually use heavy sketch paper.
Do your sketch trying to get a mirror image. Hold on to the half you cut away for reference if needed. It's useful for determining shadow and highlight.
Add color by painting, using wc pencils, pastels, or even crayon.
Here is another example.
Give it a try. If you don't have an old calendar you can find lots of portraits on Google images.
We woke up to ice fog this morning. The trees were beautiful but we didn't get our blue sky today. Calgary is usually the sunniest place in Canada, (even though it's still cold).
see you next time
gail

No comments:

Post a Comment